Central Rally - Routes Based Out of Eagle River

Description of your first forum.

Re: Central Rally - Routes Based Out of Eagle River

Postby Cannonshot » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:14 pm

Onta-Iron

This is a V-Strommable ride that takes in some scenic forest roads with a mix of pavement and gravel.

Found this federal pressure washer at one of the landings for removing invasives from your boat. Handy for a quick rinse.

Again, hit some of the lakes along the way. Very scenic.

There is a heritage park in Iron River that is worth a look. Lots of iron mining here back in the day.

The trip home runs across Carey Dam Road which is an officially designated Rustic Road. It is a beauty to ride. I've got an enticing picture I'll have to dig up.
Attachments
Onta-Iron.gpx
(65.25 KiB) Downloaded 3764 times
Cannonshot

Postby Cannonshot » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:16 pm

SportPave

This is a nice pavement ride close in to the rally site. It takes in some winding and rolling pavement. It includes the paved portion of the Military Road (old and new) and some nice lakeside paved paths. There is a short connector of fine gravel on this route so it is not pure pavement, but the gravel is no issue at all.

A fun ride with a lot of twists and turns. Gas and a snack stop in Three Lakes midway through the ride.
Attachments
Sport Pave.gpx
(34.2 KiB) Downloaded 3846 times
Cannonshot

Postby Cannonshot » Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:17 pm

Conover small/medium dual sport ride.

This can be ridden as one long ride or two separate short rides using the cut-off.

This takes in some sporty forest roads. Tight corners with lousy sight lines so be careful. The roads wind and roll with the terrain and are a blast to ride. There are some nice sections like you find on the Sporty Forty (another close-in ride).

Notice that a couple of those in and out loops almost look like a closed course because someone could manage traffic there.

This track goes right past a certain family lake estate.

For traffic control reasons, ride these counter-clockwise. So for the east side, head up Hwy 45 and follows the loop CCW. For the west side, go up the cut-off and pick up the green track and ride that CCW. Safety first.
Attachments
Conover.gpx
(61.53 KiB) Downloaded 3765 times
Cannonshot

Postby Cannonshot » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Some of you have visited the Burnt Rollways Boat Hoist which is on some of my rally tracks for GPS. Here is a little more information about it.

This boat hoist moves boats between the Eagle River Chain of Lakes and the Three Lakes Chain. There is a difference in elevation of about 8' between the two. Moving boats has been going on here for more than 100 years.

This particular system uses an electric gantry that runs on a 165 foot long trestle way (rails). It is the only device of its type moving boats in Wisconsin and maybe even in the US (although there are railed ramps in some other places).

It costs $5 for a lift. The operators sit in a nearby house with a big picture window watching for boats. They can fish or read or whatever as long as they promptly respond to boat traffic.

The Eagle River - Three Lakes chain includes a series of 29 lakes which is the largest freshwater chain in the world. Theoretically you could go from here to the Gulf of Mexico by water.

Back in the 1800s the lakes were used to move logs. Loggers cut and stacked logs onto a rollway. When high water came in the spring, they dumped the logs and floated them downstream. One year the loggers didn't get paid by the guy who hired them to cut and stack the logs. Since they got stiffed, they burned the logs so no one else could make money on them. Hence the term "Burnt Rollway". The actual rubble of the rollway is about a mile upstream.

The first dam was built in the 1800s to raise water levels for logging. In 1911, they installed a boat railway to get over the dam. They used a water wheel to power the inclined lift. Years later they swapped out the water wheel for an electric motor.

Sometime around 1911.

1920s

In 1947 they needed a bigger lift so they ginned up the design for the current one. It is like a gantry crane used in shipyards. They got surplus 2 1/2T truck winches from Army trucks to do the lifting. Normally a lock is used with the dam to raise and lower boats but it would have been too expensive.

The system has been improved over the years but continues to do what it needs to.
Cannonshot

Tilden Mine Tour

Postby Cannonshot » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:43 pm

This track takes you from the rally site to the Iron Mining Museum at Negaunee. You can join a three hour tour of an active open pit iron mine starting and ending at the museum.

I recommend you make reservations as the tour often fills up. There is a $15 fee for the tour that covers bus transportation and expenses for the tour. You will be required to wear a hard hat, safety glasses, and hearing protection which are provided by the tour host. There are also restrictions about what clothing you can wear. Get the information when you call to sign up for the tour. 9096-226-6591

Tours are offered June through August, Tuesday through Saturday, and they run from noon until 3PM.

After your tour, stop down at Jackson's Pit in Negaunee. Good food and beer. 305 Iron St, Negaunee http://www.jacksonspitnegaunee.com/

Seems like it is around 120 miles to get to the museum. Allow 2 1/2 hours for travel.

I really enjoyed this tour. Word on the street is that if you don't take it you're a dope.

You'll get to walk about a mile through this processing facility and you'll get a look at some big mining equipment at the adjacent maintenance shop.

Attachments
Mine Tour.gpx
Tilden Mine Tour Routes and Tracks
(202.71 KiB) Downloaded 3552 times
Cannonshot

Postby Cannonshot » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:36 pm

Babefield Run (options to travel to Madeline Island and back).
Attachments
Babefield Run.gpx
(358.4 KiB) Downloaded 3694 times
Cannonshot

Previous

Return to Cannontracks